Please confess to me [rebirth] 49

Chapter 49  



***


Although he got drunk last night, Su Hang's stubborn biological clock forced him to wake before 8:00 a.m. Rubbing his throbbing temples, Su Hang slowly staggered downstairs.

"You're awake?" Shen Xi stood up from the living room sofa when she saw him come down.

"Good morning." Seeing Shen Xi, Su Hang walked down the stairs faster.

Shen Xi, who originally wanted to immediately reprimand the man, saw his suffering and didn't have the heart to do it. Instead, she simply sighed and passed him a glass of water. "Is it painful?"

Su Hang took a sip of water and nodded pitifully.

"You deserve it!" Shen Xi scolded.

"Are you angry?" Su Hang carefully looked at his wife's face.

"Didn't I tell you to drink less yesterday?" Shen Xi huffed.

"I was wrong." A terrified Su Hang readily admitted to his mistakes.

"If you drink so much again in the future, I won't take care of you again." Shen Xi told him.

"If I drink again, you can just throw me to some corner." Su Hang replied.

"If I catch you getting this drunk again, I'll go back and live with my parents." Shen Xi threatened.

"No, I promise I'm never drinking again." Su Hang immediately grabbed Shen Xi's hand, his expression turning nervous.

Sure enough, this kind of trick always worked. Looking at the man's nervous expression, Shen Xi was almost unable to hold back her laugh.

They both went to the kitchen, and Shen Xi served Su Hang a bowl of light porridge. As Su Hang began eating, he noticed something strange. He asked: "Why don't I see Mrs. Zhang?"

"Mrs. Zhang is on holiday." Shen Xi explained.

"Holiday?"

"Chinese New Year is approaching." Shen Xi reminded.

"Oh, yes, I almost forgot." Su Hang looked down at his porridge and asked: "Then, where did this porridge come from?"

"I made it."

Su Hang's spoon paused. The bland porridge immediately transformed into a sweet and delicious meal. He picked up his bowl and started eating, finishing the porridge in just a couple of bites. He looked like a homeless man who had been hungry for days. After finishing his food, Shen Xi stood up and served him another bowl. After doing this for two or three times, Shen Xi couldn't help but say: "I was afraid that you would be hungover and wouldn't have a good appetite, so I just cooked some porridge. But you seem to be in good spirits, ah."

"The porridge is delicious." Su Hang told her, satisfaction all over his face.

Because she thought Su Hang would be suffering from a hangover, Shen Xi had planned for him to simply rest at home. But now that he seemed to be well, she changed her mind and said: "Let's go out and buy some new year's products after you're done."

"Alright, let's go and buy it together." Su Hang nodded.

After breakfast, they drove to the nearest mall.

Although there weren't a lot of cars outside, the mall was still very busy. Shen Xi and Su Hang stood in the supermarket and watched as the crowd rushed around to do their new year's shopping. They felt somewhat dazed at everyone's explosive energy.

"So many people." Shen Xi, someone who's never gone out to buy things for the new year, lamented as she watched an auntie elbow through the crowd with an amazing fighting spirit.

"Yeah." President Su, who had always been content eating instant noodles during this time, sighed. "I didn't expect things to be this lively. New Years had always been a lonely time for me before."

Lonely?

Shen Xi turned and looked at Su Hang. He was holding two Chinese red knots, comparing them with interest. He might not have realized it, but Su Hang was currently wearing a happy smile. Looking at his cheerful figure, Shen Xi couldn't help but think back to her previous life. Back then, what did Su Hang look like during the Chinese New Year?


During the first year.

"I want to go to W Country for business. It'll take about half a month, so I can't accompany you for Chinese New Year. I'm sorry." Su Hang said.

"That's fine. Go ahead, you must be busy." Shen Xi silently sent out a sigh of relief.


The year after that.

"I'm sorry, I'm going to Country F for about half a month." Su Hang said.

"It doesn't matter. I'll just go spend new years with my parents." Shen Xi replied after a moment's pause.


The third year.

"Sorry, I'm going to Country R on a business trip..."

"Why do you travel every new year?" Shen Xi finally couldn't help but ask.

"Because Chinese New Year isn't celebrated abroad." After some hesitation, Su Hang replied.

"I see. Then go ahead..." Shen Xi helplessly replied. She had a feeling that the man might not want to spend the new year with her.

The fourth year, the fifth year...Shen Xi, who had grown accustomed to it, would only say 'Happy New Year' when Su Hang left.

"Which one of these do you think looks good?" Su Hang took the two Chinese knots and showed them to Shen Xi, but found that his wife was in a daze. He couldn't help but shake the two festive knots in front of her.

"Ah, what?" Shen Xi snapped out of her daze.

"Which one of these looks good?" Su Hang asked again.

"These are too small." Shen Xi looked at the Chinese knots he was holding, then said: "It's not suitable to hang at home."

"It's for Chu Wu." Su Hang explained. "We can hang it at the door of his kennel."

"Oh, well then, this one." Shen Xi randomly pointed to one.

Su Hang placed the losing Chinese knot back on the shelf, and noticing Shen Xi's absent-mindedness, took over pushing the cart. He asked: "What are you thinking about?"

"Ah?" Shen Xi said: "I was wondering how to spend the new year."

"What's there to think about?" Su Hang found it a little strange that Shen Xi would ponder about something like this with such a heavy expression.

"What do you want to do this year" Shen Xi asked.

"I want to spend it with you." Su Hang thought about it, then added: "And our parents. Let's go to our parent's home on new year's day. They would probably hate the thought of spending the new years without you."

(T/N: As in Shen Xi's parents.)

"What if my parents don't want you to go?" Shen Xi asked thoughtfully.

"Mom and Dad don't want me to go?" When Su Hang heard her question, he couldn't help being nervous. "Wasn't it fine last time I visited?"

Ever since they found out that Su Hang was the little brother who saved Shen Xi back then, Shen Xi's parents have become very kind towards him.

"I mean, just hypothetically. Hypothetically, my parents don't like you and don't want to spend the new years with you. What would you do?" Shen Xi asked.

Su Hang was silent for a long time, his expression dark. Eventually, he said: "Then I'll have to spend the new years alone."

"You wouldn't want to be with me?"

"Of course I would." Su Hang replied. "This is our first new year as a wedded couple, so of course I would want to spend it with you. But if your parents don't welcome me, I can't spend the new years with you, ah. I know you can't bear to let your parents be sad during new years day."

So for five whole years in a row, you acted all self-righteous and went on a business trip?

At this thought, Shen Xi felt distressed and depressed. She couldn't help but scold the man: "Are you stupid? If my parents don't like you, why don't you try and make them like you? Why would you just hide, ah."

"I..." After being dissed by his wife for no apparent reason, President Su was stunned.

Unable to get rid of her gloom, Shen Xi shook off Su Hang's hand and walked off.

Noticing that his wife seemed to be really angry, Su Hang panicked and rushed to catch up to her. "Xiao Xi, what's the matter? Did I say something wrong?"

"Su Hang, you self-righteous idiot." Shen Xi huffed, then walked off in a different direction.

What's going on, ah?

Su HAng was so confused. He parked the shopping cart in an unobtrusive corner, then ran after Shen Xi once more. "Xiao Xi, don't be angry."

Su Hang stopped Shen Xi, intending to speak to her. But he noticed several aunties perusing through a discounted wine shelf nearby. It was too noisy to have a proper conversation, so he took Shen Xi to the other side of the shelf and quickly accepted his blame. "I just didn't want to make things difficult for you. It doesn't mean I would hide, ah. In fact, if your parents really did hate me, I'd just stubbornly show up on their door and make them like me..."

Shen Xi looked at Su Hang, clearly not believing him. If that's true, then who was the man that escaped on a business trip for five years, ah?

"It's true." Seeing Shen Xi's disbelieving expression, Su Hang continued: "Growing up, the only thing I don't have confidence in is my ability to make you like me. I'm not afraid of anything except this one thing. Nothing else fazes me, nor troubles me."

"Why aren't you confident?" This was a knot in Shen Xi's heart that she had never been able to untangle, in this life and the last. Despite becoming a real couple in this life, Shen Xi still couldn't understand why Su Hang had never said a word about his feelings even after their divorce in their last life.

"Because...be careful!" Suddenly, the shelf teetered towards them. Almost instinctively, Su Hang protected Shen Xi in his arms and let the wine bottles on the shelf smash all over him.

Crash!

Terrified screams, the crash of shelves, and the shattering of wine bottles all sounded out in the supermarket. Those who had been pushing to buy discounted wine scattered in an instant. All that's left was wine and glass fragments all over the floor, as well as a man who stood firm in the middle of all the debris.

"Su Hang, Su Hang." Shen Xi wanted to pull out of Su Hang's embrace, but his body held her tight, and she couldn't move. "Are you alright? Why aren't you talking? You let me go, I want to see, ah."

Shen Xi's last few words were said with a sob. When she felt warm blood drip onto her forehead, her panic reached a crescendo.

"Quick, quick! call an ambulance, someone's hurt."


    ==


At City Hospital, Shen Xi and her parents were sitting together outside the emergency room.

"I'm sorry, I'm terribly sorry. We didn't expect such a thing to happen." The supermarket manager kept apologizing to Shen Xi.

However, Shen Xi didn't have the time nor energy to pay attention to him. She was too busy looking towards the closed emergency room with red eyes and cold limbs.

"Come here." Father Shen frowned and called the supermarket manager over.

"Why did the shelf fall down?" Father Shen asked in a hard tone.

"The cause of the accident is still under investigation. Our preliminary conclusion is that it was caused by the crowd." The supermarket manager explained.

"I see. You can leave first." Father Shen wasn't in the mood to argue with the other party." I'll let my lawyer talk to you about this matter."

"Lawyers?? But..."

Just when the supermarket manager was about to say something, the door of the emergency room suddenly opened. A nurse came out, and Shen Xi rushed to meet her.

"How is my husband, nurse?" Shen Xi hoarsely asked.

"The patient has lost too much blood and needs a blood transfusion." The nurse explained. "The patient's blood type is the rare panda blood, and the hospital's blood bank doesn't have enough on hand. Family members, do any of you have the same blood type?"

"Panda blood?" Shen Xi asked, stunned.

"Yes, Rh-negative, type O." The nurse replied. "If no one here has this type, quickly contact your relatives."

After saying this, the nurse rushed back into the emergency room.

"What are you standing there for? Hurry and call the Su family." Father Shen urged.

Shen Xi came back to her senses and quickly contacted the Su family.



The author has something to say: 

In fact, I foreshadowed this. It's the reason why the Su family picked Su Hang up when he was eighteen.


***

I honestly wasn't expecting anymore angst and action, ah. Su Hang, bby, be well! *cries*

Previous | TOC | Next

Comments

  1. WHAT!! I THOUGHT WE WERE ALREADY AT THE FLUFFY STAGE
    . MY HEART IS HURT ONCE AGAIN FJEKKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. my heart is gonna collapse- i guess this is what they call the calm before the storm. :((((((

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, i remember that because of his unique blood type that's why he was searched and recognized by his father. 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  4. As sad as this chapter is, panda blood? They srsly call it panda blood??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rh-negative is rare in China, something like 0,3% of the population (while we have 15% in France or in the USA), so they say it's "as rare as pandas"

      Delete
  5. I am waiting for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait....the author foreshadowing her own novel...😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is a proper term to use even when building the novel, although I would have said "set up" because as a writer it's better to convey that you are "doing it on purpose to be referenced later"

      this would be the "pay off" of the "rare blood" device used previously.

      Delete
  7. Does this mean its gonna be hard for them to have a child?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it, this won't be that calm with all the fluffy stuff goin on.

    BUT I'M STILL NOT READY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment